TotalFinder adds tabs, hotkeys, and other tweaks to the Mac OS X Finder.
TotalFinder is just a better Finder
My goal is to improve Finder in areas where it is lacking but keep the overall design, which is good.
TotalFinder is tested to work in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks) and 10.10 (Yosemite).
TotalFinder is a plugin, not a replacement
Please keep in mind that TotalFinder is an add-on which gets loaded into the Finder when you launch
TotalFinder.app. It does not modify your Finder files on the disk. TotalFinder is installed as a standalone application. But when launched it changes the current instance of Finder running in your computer memory. I call this process TotalFinder injection into Finder.
System updates from Apple
Due to the nature of how TotalFinder works, there is always a minor risk that TotalFinder might break with future Finder updates. Our entire team uses TotalFinder on a daily basis so we spot problems very quickly. So far, Finder updates have generally introduced minor changes. I am also a member of Apple’s Developer Program and have access to pre-release versions of system updates. I am committed to keeping TotalFinder compatible with Apple’s updates.
Please remember that if you ever experience any problem whatsoever, first check if you have running the latest version available. If yes, please report the issue on the forums or send us a support email. In the worst case, it is easy to uninstall TotalFinder and return to the Apple’s basic Finder.
How to restart the Finder
The easiest way is probably using Force Quit menu via
Alternatively you can go to the
Terminal.app and type:
Killing Finder will restart Finder without injecting TotalFinder again. To reopen TotalFinder, launch TotalFinder.app in
Requirements : Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Compatibility with OS X 10.11.4. El Capitan
- Fixed a sorting issue when changing sorting order. El Capitan
- Fixed occasional crashing in Column Mode with Folders on Top enabled. El Capitan
- Updated Sparkle library.
1. Mount TotalFinder-1.7.8.dmg and install TotalFinder
2. Unzip and launch TotalFinder 1.x [SP].app
3. Click on Finder, press [Cmd]+[Shift]+[G], and paste the line below:
4. Drag the revealed file (TotalFinder.bundle) onto the patcher, and enter password if prompted.
5. If TotalFinder is running, click Finder/TotalFinder, and in the menubar click:
Finder > TotalFinder > Restart Finder
6. Launch TotalFinder.app, it will show as registered!